Sunday, March 1, 2009

Here I Am Already Currying Favor

I am passionate about food. This definitely works to my disadvantage. I grew up eating the basic meat and potatoes with the occasional tacos and enchiladas. My mom is a great cook if you like dough, starch, meat and fried stuff. I didn't get out much until I was about 18, but I was always open-minded about other cultures and their cuisine. One day, my colleague suggested we take the bus up to what was at that time the only Indian restaurant in town. They had a buffet table set up with lamb curry, Basmati rice, vegetable korma and kheer which is a traditional rice pudding cooked with milk and spices. My tastebuds have never been the same since. I can't imagine life without cumin, cardamom, fennel, anniseed, curry leaves, coriander, mustardseed, cinnamon, clove, turmeric and lots and lots of garlic and chili peppers. Not to mention black, white and pink peppercorns. Combinations of these spices make up masala; the spice mixture responsible for flavoring curries. Curried dishes can contain anything from seafood to mutton and many different varieties of vegetables. My favorites are vegetarian followed by lamb. I prefer my curry on the hot side, but it is possible to make mild dishes that have excellent flavor and aroma.
Here is my favorite mutton curry recipe Be worned: You will have your work cut out for you if you take this one on. The first time I made it, I was tired and frustrated after just making the masala. I still like to make it, but I am just as happy buying a jar of Patak's simmer sauce from the store and putting it on some meat and veggies. Get ready because any curry dish smells great because of all the spices! This post only scratches the surface of Indian curry. i will talk about Thai curry in a later post. Good luck and enjoy!
Em

12 comments:

  1. Mouth is watering already. I am going to try it next week. Because, I want to have enough time to do it right.
    I will let you know.

    Now I must give you a recipe in exchange. My vegetable soup.

    2 regular size cans of beef stock
    2 regular cans of chicken stock
    1 small can of tomato paste
    3# sirloin roast
    8 red baby potatoes
    1 bermuda onion
    2 cups frozen or fresh corn
    4 carrots
    1/2 cup jalapeno juice
    a fair palm of the black, white, and pink peppercorns ground
    a fair palm of Cavender's Greek seasoning

    I do the roast with the onion in a crock pot first with one can of beef broth.

    Then I can put everything to simmer together.

    *I also use jalapeno juice when I make stuffing. I also add sliced jalapenos to that.*

    You are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your passion for food, as evident by my ummm..... poundage.
    But
    I prefer to think of cooking as a spectator sport. Now, ordering from a menu- that's an art!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I can has veggie soup? Is it the juice from the jar of pickeled jalapenos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeewwwwww.
    Curry.
    I hate curry.
    I'm such a non-fan of food, drives poor husband crazy. I'm kinda hard to cook for. If not totally impossible.
    Pickiest eater EVER, after Dear Old Dad, of course.
    My sense of smell doesn't help, at all..

    Hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickeled peckers! This reminds me of one time when my brother and I were cooking with fresh hobaneros. So he needs to pee in a big hurry and hasn't been wearing laytex gloves while chopping said peppers. He rushes to the toilet, unzips, aims and sets up a terible racket. Poor guy! *I just snorted chai* lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Gl. Butch told me he likes to eat curry. So you can curry him while he eats his curry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AofG yes canned. Pickled actually.

    Oh and I remembered because Go said something that I have not been posting descriptions.
    I suck.
    I rectified Molly and puppies.
    But then computer failed me.
    I will email you the rest K?
    Hubby did something else with jalapeno hands one time. Not thinking. Someone is still not laughing about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Butch is a curry fan too. Trooper loves curry. As a treat I get him a samosa with hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, samosas! Yum for sure! Triangles of Heaven! Can you imagine? Horsey breath laced with spices. *goes into paroxisms of delight*

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I take the 'dillo for Indian, she asks for "triangles and circles". Triangles being samosas and circles being chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummm...triangles and circles.

    I found out about Trooper's love of curry by accident. I turned my back for a moment and he dived into my lunch and down the whole thing with two gulps. Got to love Shires. They can drink a bucket of water in a couple of gulps or a whole apple without needing to cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AofG
    ROFLMAO

    Oh, you gave me the most evil, delightful idea:):):)
    heeheehee. Thanks, you are kinda diabolical. I like that:)

    Butch can't open his mouth, tetanus, don't ya know.
    Couldn't afford the shots.
    So, for 52 years, he's been eating through a straw..

    ReplyDelete