Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ridiculous!

I am still trying to finish my bachelor's in English. However, as a nontraditional student it can be daunting at times. I have about 13 hours of social sciences to go, and then I will be done and ready to apply for grad school. I received a scholarship application packet from the National Federation for the Blind yesterday. The NFB really encourages blind people to get a college education and seek employment in the "sighted world". So i anticipated having a good chance at some much needed financial help. I have payed for the majority of my college from my own pocket, but I fear those days are over for a while. Anyway, I was examining the criteria for receiving money, and it's not so promising. They want students to take a minimum of 12 hours per term. Now, I understand that for students fresh out of high school this is reasonable. However I cannot work a job with variable hours, take care of my daughter and carry 12 hours. I have tried and it did not work out. What is frustrating is that the NFB is missing the opportunity to help a lot of blind students who have the potentialto get out there and be a part of the work force. I think I am going to apply anyway, and let them know that I am very close to graduating and will be applying for grad school. I want to get a masters in public health and possibly go on to a PHD. I know I could finish the last 13 hours in 2 semesters.
PS On a happier note, a friend of mine is taking me out to a place called Buhbuh's Nekkid barbecue. It's so good you can eat the meat "nekkid", that is with no sauce.

7 comments:

  1. Nekkid meat. Yummy. Have you ever tried Cavender's Greek Seasoning?
    It is really good on nekkid meat and poultry.
    Also very good for flavor in soups.
    I love food.
    Thinking about rice cooked in coconut milk.
    CCC has some rocking recipes too.
    I am so glad you did this.
    And give em hell Em! Make them see that some sight challenged folk are so productive that JUST going to school isn't an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, could you write them a letter, explaining your unique and special circumstances? i.e. You are just one person?
    Jeeesh. How many arms do they think you have?

    It's really hard, thinking about how much is still left to do.
    I had a melt-down in fourth year university, in a class (mammalogy) I eventually aced. It's overwhelming, I know the feeling. I put myself through university, too, with student loans. You just want the debt to go AWAY.
    I paid it all back, too. I didn't have a kid. I can't, well, kudos, aofG.

    Perhaps, you could do the hours at home?
    Or are you already doing the 12 hours at home?
    What are the requirements for these 12 hours?
    Or are you thinking you just haven't got 12 hours?

    Sorry, hon, I'm confused, which is easy to do, as you know.
    I think you should write them a letter, explaining your needs, and how much you want to finish, etc.
    You're a heck of a writer, ya' know.

    I hate BBQ sauce.
    Just sayin'.
    :)

    Whoo, hoo
    Andalusians of Grandeur's BLOG
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

    (applause)
    (very loud applause)
    (rooftops shakin')

    You are amazing, I hope you know that.
    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need one more English class and 10 hours of social science at 300 level or above. I am writing them a letter, and trying to get hooked up with some online classes. I don't like bbq sauce either, but I absolutely love Greek seasoning. My husband took me shopping at the Asian market today. Lots of yummy stuff to cook and some candy for the Sophiadillo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great plan, AofG.

    keep us posted, pleeeeezzzz.
    butch misses you.

    :)
    Best of luck, let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with funding. You're right about needing the funding source to be more flexible. Sounds like you have quite a work load. I burned out in university as well so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know the old saying, The squeeky wheel get the grease. I say knock politely the first time, just don't take no for an answer. Let them know that no is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NCC I love that. "Knock politely the first time".
    Classic.

    AofG I would like a good curry type recipe.
    Got one?

    ReplyDelete