Friday, May 1, 2009

Falling

After my daughter's birth, i found infant care surprisingly easy. She was very mellow and sleepy, but she had a powerful suck and was easily latched onto the breast with little frustration from either of us. The policy for me was hands off for everyone until I learned how to do things for myself. I have always been comfortable with very physical hands-on tasks so I never had any fear of dropping her or not being able to keep her clean and dry. The same nurses who let me act instinctively during the birth were content to sit back and let me figure out how to accomplish basic mothering tasks. For this I was greatful, and I left the birthing center feeling confident even through the normal exhaustion that comes with a new baby.
The first week was hard since I had so many stitches that it made walking or sitting for long periods difficult. My husband was wonderful, and he kept me supplied with good food and a hot bath whenever I needed it for the pain. He stayed up with her when I absolutely needed sleep. We began to get on a good schedule by the time she was about a month old.
Then, I started feeling strangely. When I would put her down for a nap, I knew I should also take one but I began to feel paranoyed that she would wake without me getting any sleep. It didn't matter how zonked out she was. I began to imagine all sorts of ghastly things happening to her while I looked on helplessly: my baby being tossed off a building while I waited below for her to splatter on the cement, that tiny body somehow ending up in the middle of the highway waiting to be run over, my helpless infant put in a bathtub that was slowly filling with water and me unable to retrieve her. When I would nurse her the milk and the tears and the sweat would pour from me until i was sure I would dry up and die. One day my husband found me in such a state and asked me what was wrong. I couldn't voice the fear and despair I was experiencing so I just shook my head. He walked out of the room, and that is when the doors began to slam inside me.

12 comments:

  1. Waving hello, madly..
    and laughing, because I've done that too.
    Ooops, I didn't want to post that!
    hey, where's the post?

    first:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is showing up for me anyway, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see it!!

    Oh, hon.
    What a story. Wow. Keep going, what an incredible woman you are. How long did the doors keep closing?
    How on earth did you open them up again?

    hugs and love to you, wonder woman.
    I'll build a little campfire, and wait for your next writing. You are so worth the wait.

    So glad to see you. Missed ya, kiddo. I need my muse. That's you.
    Play me some pipes, will ya?

    LOVE your play list. The Boxer., oh, all of them..
    I'm going to try Andy Stewart.
    Guess I should turn ON the sound:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Gl, I prefer to smoke pipes rather than play them. lol! Andy is great!! I've been to one of his concerts, and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, smoke me some pipes! Pass it, will ya?
    :)

    Hey, Andy's amazing. Och, Aye...

    off to play more.
    Okay, I lie. Off to bed.
    I'll annoy my kid sister, and play Andy when she drops by tomorrow, with new BF. Gawd, I am getting tired of meeting her latest. I wish she'd find a lastest.
    I wouldn't feel guilty about the state of filthy chaos in my house...

    Yeah, I'm the only one in the family with a pipe craving.
    BAGpipes.
    Jeeesh:)
    Oh, and irish pipes.
    have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AofG
    Thanks for letting me know. I have been waiting.
    I didn't go through the whole PPD thing until number 7.
    It is terrifying. And despair is exactly the right word.
    So, glad you are back.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I anxiously await the rest of the story- welcome back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are an incredible person. Welcome back, and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay and now I am going to
    PM you.
    Becuz you pop in and pop out.
    I know The Dillo is soooooo
    much more interesting than us.
    And cuter...
    How are we supposed to compete?

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol, Dena! The dancing Dillo is gone to my mom's for the weekend. I'm hanging with the man and friends and petting the horses. I bought some fresh mangos and they are delicious. I miss you guys, but the weather here is so nice that I've been out potting plants and soaking up the vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, hard to compete with sunshine:)

    Hope you are well, dear AofG.
    Hugs and scritches and schlobbers!!

    ReplyDelete